General Dentistry in Houston, TX: Everything You Should Know
There are several specialties in dentistry, including endodontists, orthodontists, and pediatric dentists. Typically, specialists concentrate on one field in dentistry. For example, pediatric dentists have their focus on children while endodontists focus on root canals.
Then, there are general dentists. General dentists don’t focus on any specific field, and they can help you with the most common dental problems, including cavities and gum disease. In this blog, we will discuss general dentistry in detail, hoping the information will help you make an informed decision. We are here for you if you are looking for general dentistry near you in Antoine Drive.
Who is a General Dentist?
General dentists offer several services, including oral exams, cleanings, teeth whitening, and more. To become a general dentist, one must have a BS or BA degree. It can be a doctor of dental surgery (DDS) or a doctor of dental medicine (DMD). Then, he must pass a national board exam that tests his skills in dentistry.
Why is it Important to Visit a General Dentist?
The ADA recommends a visit to the dentist at least twice a year. However, it can be more, especially if you are prone to cavities and dental infections. Some people have to visit the dentist at least once every three months. These routine visits are vital to your oral and general health. Here are a few reasons you should never miss routine dental visits:
- They involve professional cleaning that gets rid of any plaque buildup, reducing the risk of cavities and gum disease.
- The dentist teaches you the right brushing techniques and recommends the best products for the job, including toothbrushes, dental floss, toothpaste, and mouthwashes.
- Routine professional cleanings and exams prevent and treat bad breath. Bad breath can be a serious self-esteem “killer.”
- In the long run, routine cleanings and exams save you a lot of money since you will not require expensive treatments like dental implants in the future.
- In most cases, routine dental visits are covered by the insurance. You will not need to get money out of pocket to pay for it.
- Sometimes routine exams include oral cancer screenings, and this can help diagnose the deadly disease early enough when it is still treatable.
- It improves your oral and general health.
How Will I Know if a General Dentist Is Good for Me?
It is important to choose a dentist who is compatible with you and your family. Sometimes, you may have to try a few dentists before settling on one. During your trials, ask yourself some of the following questions:
- Did you find the dentist easy to talk to and convincing?
- Is the dental clinic orderly and neat?
- Does the general dentist discuss things that will benefit you, or is he just talking about how good he is?
- Doe the clinic accept major dental insurance covers?
- Is the dentist interested in your medical history?
- How experienced is the dentist?
Should I Take My Child to a General Dentist?
Yes, you can take your child to a general dentist, and she will get help. However, we highly recommend taking your kid to a pediatric dentist, especially during her early years. Pediatric dentists are more experienced at handling kids.
A pediatric dentist will guide your kid throughout her early years until she can maintain proper oral hygiene on her own. Furthermore, he will recommend necessary procedures such as fluoride treatment, dental sealants, and orthodontic treatment when it’s time. Your child can start seeing a general dentist on her own during her late teen years. We are here for you if you are looking for general dentistry in Houston.
How Often Should I Change My Toothbrush?
Typically, toothbrushes wear out with time. The ADA recommends changing a toothbrush at least once every 90 days. However, if you have gum disease, change your toothbrush every 30 days. Always remember to rinse your brush after cleaning your teeth to keep the bristles clean and kill germs.
Dream Dental (Antoine Drive)
Talk to us if you are looking for general dentistry in Antoine Drive, and let us help you. We offer general dentistry services of the highest quality, and you can count on us for cavity treatment, gum disease treatment, and more. Book an appointment now.