What Procedures Does an Endodontist Perform?
How much do you know about your dentists? Although you may be diligent enough to keep up with routine dental visits, it does not mean you know enough about dentists. For example, did you know that there are dentists that specialize only in the internal layers of teeth? Endodontists are dental experts whose keen interest is how the inner layers of teeth affect the general functionality of the oral cavity.
What Is Endodontics?
It is a specialty of dentistry that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of the infected soft tissues inside a tooth. Endodontics in Houston, TX, focuses on the tooth pulp, comprising the innermost layer of a human tooth.
Severally, patients visit Antoine dentists hoping to treat the external layers of teeth through procedures like tooth fillings. However, it is not always the case that the injured or diseased part of your tooth is external. It makes it important to get your oral cavity examined before the performance of any dental procedure.
What Do Endodontists Do?
Unlike other dentists in Inwood, endodontists specialize in endodontic dentistry only. Still, they are dentists too, which means that they prioritize oral health in all the ways that other types of dentists would. Aside from that, however, an endodontist will offer services that can save a natural tooth by treating its insides. Some of the treatments thereof are:
- Root canal therapy – is a non-surgical approach to treating the insides of teeth, where the dentist accesses the insides of your tooth from the crown. After drilling a hole, the dentist will use a small tool to clean out all infections from your tooth pulp before filling and sealing it. It is the most common type of endodontic procedure in dentistry.
- Endodontic retreatment – involves treating a tooth again after root canal failure. Root canal failure is not common, but it can occur mostly due to saliva contamination, exposing your tooth to risks of re-infection, cavities, and dental pain.
- Endodontic surgeries – are necessary to track down small damaged tissues and fractured parts inside your tooth that cannot easily be detected through digital x-rays. Usually, dentists recommend surgery where a non-surgical root canal approach is not sufficient to treat your tooth. The surgery accesses the soft tissues inside your tooth through the gum tissue. The procedure will entail removing the inflamed and infected tissues as well as the root tip of the tooth.
Why You Should Consider Endodontics
If you approach us at Dream Dental – Antoine Drive with a diseased tooth, our first instinct as dentists is to offer a treatment solution that can help preserve and save your natural tooth. Only in the necessary cases do we recommend tooth extractions to patients. The rest of the time, many alternatives can help save your natural tooth, particularly in endodontic dentistry. Some of the benefits of endodontic treatments are:
- Treating the root cause of pain – you can stop relying on pain medication to curb your toothache after an endodontic procedure.
- Increasing the life of your natural tooth – you do not have to start losing your natural teeth early due to an infection when you can rely on endodontic treatments.
- Preventing jawbone degeneration – what you may not understand about tooth loss is that it leaves the jawbone inactive for a while, allowing for the bone deterioration that can affect your general facial appearance.
- Enhancing good dental health – The primary agenda of endodontics is to treat a damaged tooth by removing infections inside it. The procedures involved entail getting rid of bacteria along with all the infected and diseased soft tissues. The result is improved dental health.
- Curbing the spread of infection – leaving an infected tooth untreated does more harm in the long term. An infection at the roots of teeth is called an abscess. It can spread the infection to the surrounding areas of your tooth if it is not treated.
- More affordable than tooth replacement alternatives – especially for patients who would opt for dental implants that are the permanent replacement solution.
Every dentist in dentistry has specific works and treatments that work together with other specialties to help you excel in dental health. However, it is not to say that endodontists cannot diagnose other oral problems and offer relevant solutions.